Thursday, June 21, 2012

Yoga on a Budget



The actual numbers
Now that we have finished our Ashtanga Workshop, we asked ourselves the question, “What’s next?”  Since we are in the process of house shopping and still trying to save money wherever possible, I wanted to get a good picture of exactly how much money we have spent on yoga in the past six months.  The picture was a little startling… 




We have spent $746.06 on yoga classes and workshops since January, and I have gone with every budget conscious decision possible.  We have received four free classes, used various deal sites (similar to Groupon), and overall have saved $516, but the reality is…two people going to classes two to three times a week really adds up. 

The best bang for your buck is to join a gym that offers yoga classes, but it has its drawbacks.  We are both members at Gold’s Gym in Birmingham, which between 3 locations offers about 4 “power yoga” classes a week that we could attend.  As previously mentioned in several posts, there are quite a few differences in gym yoga and studio yoga.  Sean and I would both prefer studio yoga, but it can be a bit cost prohibitive at an average of $15 per class.  Unfortunately, with Sean’s new class schedule this summer and fall we won’t be able to attend our favorite Monday night Gold’s class.  In order for Gold’s to be a good deal (less than $15 per class), we have to go to at least four classes a month.   With that in mind, along with our busy summer schedule, we have decided to purchase a package from Studio Zen Fitness and start working on our home practice (with an exception for trying hot yoga and some classes while we are in Chicago next month).  That’s right, we will be cancelling the gym membership.  With a class package of 10 we can go to classes when it is convenient to our schedule and it averages out to $16.50 per class.  The extra $1.50 is worth it to go to class with our favorite instructors!   

As for our home practice, my first experiences with yoga were at home, but the group classes offer such a unique dynamic and challenge.  Ultimately, I know there needs to be a balance.  During my home practice, I can work on improving some things that I wouldn’t always feel comfortable with in class (such as my headstand).  During my class practice, I can experience new, more challenging poses with the assistance of a trained professional. 

I also found an app for my iPhone for $3.99.  It is “Ashtanga Yoga with Michael Gannon.”  The app offers the ability to go through the various sequences of the ashtanga practice with a voice guiding you through the asanas and the breathing.  The app has both a beginner and intermediate audio track.  It was cheaper and more interactive than the DVDs that I have previously used.  I highly recommend it for ashtangis looking for a way to develop their home practice. 

Doing yoga at home does come with a number of challenges.  For some reason that defies all logic, it seems much harder to motivate myself to get off the couch and do yoga in my living room than it is for me to get off the couch, get ready, drive to the nearest yoga studio, and do yoga there.  We also have two eager golden retrievers who get quite excited when mom pulls out the yoga mat.  (I’ve had to institute a rule of “No puppy kisses until after yoga.”)  Ideally, I would like for us to do yoga every day, but for now we are going to stick with the schedule of three classes per week (one at Zen, two at home).

No comments:

Post a Comment